JOE D. GODDARD
Resarch and Emeritus Professor of Applied
Joe Goddard's research lies mainly in (1) the mechanics of complex
fluids and granular materials and (2) chemical and bio-molecular
In the recent past, his research has been focused on the mechanics
of fluid-particle suspensions and granular materials, which are
ubiquitous in nature and technology. This research, concerned with
flow and particle interaction under various conditions, has received
extensive support from the Air Force Office of Scientific Research,
Civil Engineering and Particulate Mechanics Programs, and from the
NASA Microgravity Fluid Physics Program.
As an extension of his previous research on chemical reaction and
transport in biological systems, he is currently interested in energy
transduction in bio-molecular systems.
Select Publications (past six years)
(links to PDF preprints or reprints)
conveying of frictional materials" Gran.
Matter, 14, 145-9,
- R. Segev and
_______“Radiative Transfer and Flux Theory” Math.
Mech. Solids, 20,
327-344, 2014 (reprint)
- “Edelen's Dissipation Potentials and the Visco-plasticity of
Particulate Media" Acta Mech.,
225, 2239-59, 2014 (reprint)
- "Continuum Modeling of Granular Media" Appl.
Mech. Rev., 66,
050801-1-18, 2014 (reprint)
- "The viscous drag on solids moving through solids" AIChE
J. (in honor of R. B. Bird) 60,
1489-98, 2014 (reprint)
- K. Kamrin and _________"Symmetry relations in viscoplastic drag laws"
Proc. Roy. Soc. A, 470,
2014.0434, 14 pp. (reprint)
- "Dissipation potentials for reaction-diffusion systems" I&EC
Res. 54, 4078-83 2015
- C.-S. Man and _______, “Remarks on the Extension of Anisotropic
Constitutive Functions via Structural Tensors”, Math.
& Mech. Solids, 1081286516680862 (10 pp.), 2016. (preprint)
- ________ and Jaesung Lee, "On the stability of the mu(I) rheology for
granular flow", J. Fluid Mech. 833,
- ________ and Jaesung Lee, "Regularization by compressibilty of the
mu(I) rheology for granular flow", Phys
Fluids In press, 2018. (preprint)
- "On Linear Non-Local Thermo-viscoelastic Waves in Fluids", Math.
Mech. Complex Systs. , In press, 2018. (preprint)
Conference Papers and Book Chapters:
“Granular Flow” in
Higham, N. et al. (eds), Princeton Companion to Applied
Mathematics, Chapt.V- 17, Princeton University Press, 2015. ( preprint
Mathematical Reviews for AMS, MathSciNet 2014-present; (reprints)